The book encompasses the history of Vietnam as well as its economic growth and political discourse within the country. Vietnam emerged strongly after fighting three wars with global powers-France, the US and China, and has developed good relations with ASEAN members, European countries and even the US. While it is actively engaged in protecting its sovereign borders and islands in South China Sea, it has carved a place as the emerging middle power in Asia through its robust economic growth, political stability and progressive economic liberalization measures. This is further complemented by strategic partnerships, effective military modernization programme and proactive diplomacy in multilateral forums. The book advocates that Vietnam has fulfilled all criteria to be recognized as the middle power in Asia and its strategic location would act as a vantage point for Indo-Pacific discourse also.
Dr. Pankaj Jha is Associate Professor with Jindal School of International Affairs (JSIA),O P Jindal Global University. He was Director (Research) with Indian Council of World Affairs, New Delhiand worked as Deputy Director with National Security Council Secretariat (2012-2013). He has more than 60 articles and two books to his credit.
Dr. Truong-Thu Doan is a Sr. Lecturer and Dy. Director of the Institute of Political Science (IPS) - Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics (HCMA). Since 2009, he has been working at the IPS as a Sr. Lecturer on Political Theories. Healso takes on courses at the USSH of Viet Nam National University (VNU). He has written more than 20 articles and authoredtwo books.
Researcher Thi-Hue Quach is a lecturer in the Institute of International Relations at HCMA. PhD student Quach Thi Hue has been working at Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics since 2015. She has more than 20 published articles and is a co-author of many books.
Dr. Trong-Hung Vu is a main lecturer in Historical Institute of Communist Party of Vietnam at the HCMA. He has been working at HCMAsince 2008. He has more than 100 published articles in Vietnam and the internationally. He has authored three books
1. Introduction/ Pankaj Jha and Thi-Hue Quach
2. Vietnam: Country, Society and Culture/ Thi-Dung Nguyen
3. Vietnamese History: A Background/ Trong-Hung Vu
4. Doi-Moi and Economic Reforms: A Road to Growth/ Le-Dung Phung
5. Political Reforms and Democracy Innovation in Vietnam/ Tuan-Thuy Nguyen
6. Vietnam’s Defense and Security Policy/ Truong-Thu Doan
7. Vietnam’s Ties with Superpowers and the European Union/ Thi-Hong-Hanh Nguyen
8. Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between Vietnam and India/ Van-Son Nguyen
9. Vietnam-China Neighbourhood Relations: From Past to the Present/ Thu-Ha Nguyen
10. Vietnam’s Relations with Laos, Cambodia and Thailand/ Thi-Hong-Mai Nguyen
11. The Relationship Between Vietnam and Regional and International Organizations/ Van-Huong Le and Thi-Hong-Hoa Vu
12. Vietnam’s Soft Power in International Relations/ Thi-Trang Le
13. Vietnam as a Middle Power: Does is Fulfill the Criteria?/ Thi-Hue Quach